Q. Can the “same” CEs used to renew our Ohio APRN license be used for our 5-year recertification requirements (ANCC)?
A. You may use the same CE hours that you obtain for recertification to meet your Ohio CE requirements for licensure so long as those CE activities fall under one of the following categories:
1. A continuing education activity that has been approved by an OBN approver or provided by an approved provider unit;
2. A continuing education activity that has been approved by a board or agency regulating the licensee or certificate holder in another jurisdiction;
3. A continuing education activity that has been approved or provided by a nationally recognized accreditation system of continuing education or a national certifying organization that meets the requirements in division (A) of section 4723.46 of the Revised Code;
4. A successfully completed course provided by an accredited educational institution for which academic credit is awarded to the licensee or certificate holder;
5. An independent study continuing education activity as defined in rule 4723-14-01 of the Administrative Code;
6. Interprofessional continuing education as defined in rule 4723-14-01 of the Administrative Code;
7. A continuing education activity that has been approved by a board or an agency that regulates a health care profession or related discipline in Ohio or another jurisdiction;
8. Continuing education credit may be given to a licensee or certificate holder who develops and presents a course or activity, or develops an independent study, as follows:
- For the first time a presentation is given, the licensee or certificate holder who develops and presents the course or activity shall be awarded the same number of contact hours as the participant receives for the presentation. Contact hours shall only be awarded for the first time a presentation is given;
- For an independent study, the number of contact hours awarded to the licensee or certificate holder who develops the independent study shall be equal to the number of contact hours awarded to participants who complete the independent study;
- A licensee or certificate holder who presents a portion of an activity may receive continuing education contact hours for additional portions of the activity the licensee or certificate holder attends but does not present.
- The board may award contact hours for a board-approved continuing education activity.
(OAC 4723-8-10(A); OAC 4723-14-05(A).) You can contact the facilitator for the CE activity to ask if the activity is an approved activity for the Ohio Board of Nursing for APRN CE credits.
For more information about CE credits and ANCC, click here.